Sentinel Intruder Detection Sonar (IDS)
Your underwater security covered
Sentinel IDS is used globally to protect critical national infrastructure, ports and harbours, military operations and ports, private and commercial yachts, commercial vessels and waterside properties.
Sentinel automatically detects, classifies and tracks subsea threats approaching your protected area or asset, such as a diver, swimmer delivery vehicle or unmanned drone. Our latest generation IDS, Sentinel 2, adds advanced Simultaneous In-band Active and Passive Sonar capability (SInAPS®) to identify and protect, at ranges of up to 1500m for mini-subs and divers.
Sentinel is an intuitive system that will automatically inform the end user of any potential threat without the need for any sonar-trained personnel.
Depending on your application, Sentinel can be supplied in either a portable and mobile package for rapid deployment where temporary security is required or as a permanently installed system for continuous protection of a known asset or perimeter.
Sentinel has been developed in partnership with Sonardyne International.
At a glance
- Identifies and classifies threats up to 1500m from any waterside asset or structure.
- Wavefront’s unique SInAPS® technology combines the detection and tracking capabilities of active and passive sonar
- Simultaneous multiple detections and tracks of subsea threats in a single processing cycle
- Super-Inheritance to maintain single track across multiple sonar heads
- Full aperture target zoom processing capabilities for lower false alarm rates
- Historical tracking data for enhanced threat target validity and evaluation
- Compact and portable for rapid overboard deployment, when and where needed
- Permanent installation for continuous protection of perimeters and assets
- Low false alarm rate; no specialist sonar experience required
Port and harbour security
Sentinel has been specifically designed to cope with these conditions, including ‘brown’ water, shallow water and tidal harbours where vessel activity results in a lot of disturbance in the water column. The system’s unique detection, classification and tracking software has been proven to operate in all environmental conditions and is capable of tracking multiple targets in real-time.
Critical National Infrastructure
Whilst these CNI installations have stringent above-the-water security measures, including physical barriers, access control radar and long range opto-electrical sensors, they are not generally equipped to detect intrusions from below the water. That’s why constant, real-time underwater monitoring using Sentinel will help ensure your facility is fully protected.
Sentinel’s compact sonar can be deployed using its own cable over the side of small craft patrolling inland waterways, through the hull of a naval vessel (e.g. Offshore Patrol Vessels) or lowered on a lightweight frame directly onto the seabed. If required, track data can also be exported via an open, industry standard interface to the vessel’s Combat Management System or integrated bridge.
Superyachts, coastal residencies, cruise ships
The Image Zoom window (top left) shows a full-resolution active sonar image automatically centred on the target. This is shown with range as the Y- Axis and azimuth as the X-Axis. The zoom can be used to help the operator to classify the target; in this case groups of bubbles from the diver’s breathing can clearly be seen, confirming it is an open circuit diver OCD.
Image Zoom Window
Up to 10 sonar heads can be displayed on a single command workstation. The Sentinel UI can display the multi-head view in one window, or can tile images from individual heads in the Overview. A tiled example is shown below. The user can drag and zoom the displays to optimise views in any window.
The Sentinel UI allows for easy fine-tuning of the sonar positions relative to the background images – the operator can move and rotate the sonar location in real-time using built-in tools. Additional point to point measurement scan be made from any area of the UI screen.
Benefits of Sentinel for your operations
For very large sites, such as naval bases and container ports, Sentinel sonar heads can be networked together to provide uninterrupted protection. Integration with C2 systems is standard.
Low false alarms
Sentinel’s advanced algorithms intelligently and reliably discriminate a real threat from fauna and flora removing false alarms, freeing up Security personnel to monitor other critical systems.
Nowhere to hide
Sentinel uses advanced Simultaneous In-band Active and Passive Sonar capability (SInAPS®) to identify and protect, at ranges of up to 1500m for mini-subs and divers.
Wavefront offer a wide variety of installation options for the Sentinel system. This is usually advised after an engineer site visit to assess the perimeter that requires protection and understand the end-user requirement (ConOps). Installation options include:
- Expeditionary / temporary deployment of the Sentinel sonar via seabed frame.
- A fixed bracket is a practical, cost-effective solution to deploy the sonar from piles and other suitable structures.
- A seabed stand provides an optimum sonar deployment method for permanently protecting open areas of water.
- A seabed frame provides a fast low logistic deployment of the Sentinel system from vessel or quayside for temporary and mobile protection requirements
To discuss mounting options for your specific application please contact us.
As a critical security product, Wavefront offer extensive support and operator and maintenance training to our customers either in the UK or in-country to ensure the Sentinel is providing the required world beating protection 24/7.
At a glance
- Simultaneous in-band active and passive sonar (SInAPS®) leaving intruders nowhere to hide
- Multiple subsea target-type detectors and trackers in a single processing cycle
- Sets specific identifiable sonar- return characteristics for even lower false alarm rates
- Super-Inheritance tracking data for improved threat identification across multiple sonar heads
- In service globally since 2007; military, offshore, power generation, VIPs, high profile events...
- One of the smallest IDS solutions on the market; take it and deploy it anywhere
- Commercial-off-the-shelf (COTS) technology that integrates seamlessly with your existing security systems: radar, CCTV...
- No specialist sonar experience needed; software automates most of the heavy lifting
- Up to 3,000m diameter protection zone using a single sonar head
- Detects divers up to 1000m away
- Detects underwater vehicles up to 1,500m away
- 100s of targets can be tracked and classified simultaneously
- Exports track, status and display image data
- Automated, user definable alarms
- Up to 10 sonars can be linked to a single tactical display
Typical system set up
- Man portable sonar head (or networked multiple sonar heads), cabling (including fibre option), junction boxes, shelters
- Deployment options: lightweight seabed frame, seabed stand, rail and trolley mount, vessel through-hull/over-the-side, cable suspension, fixed bracket
- Sonar processor, command workstation, software
- Optional Syclla underwater loudhailer for deterring intruders. If a diver enters a restricted zone, Scylla can broadcast a pre-recorded or live audio message that can be heard by the diver at up to 600 metres.
- Unrivalled access to our technology and application specialists to configure your tailor-made security solution
- Each project is backed with site visits, customers demos, FATs and SATs depending on your requirement
- Comprehensive and flexible training for security system operators and equipment maintainers
- 24-hour onsite and remote technical support backed with global equipment servicing and repair