At a glance
- Navigate with confidence; reduces the risk of underwater collisions and groundings
- Industry leading range of 1500m hazard detection gives you time to change course
- Perfect for vessels of all sizes; commercial, military, cruise, exploration and private
- Compact design with mounting options to suit both new-build or retrofit
- Use it with our Sentinel intruder detection sonar for added protection
- Compatible with your existing bridge systems
Sonar Mode Range/ Field of View: 1500 x 120°
3D Mode Range: 600m x 120°
Operational Speed: 25kts
Bottom Mapping Range: 20x Water Depth
Maximum Depth Detection: 100m
Sonar Mode Range/ Field of View: 1000mx 120°
3D Mode Range: 600m x120°
Operational Speed: 25kts
Bottom Mapping Range: 12x Water Depth
Maximum Depth Detection: 100m
Benefits of Vigilant for your operations
Unrivalled resolution and detail that’s compatible with your existing bridge system, with the added benefit can be retrofitted to any vessel.
Transform your underwater situational awareness and guide your uncrewed system or swimmer delivery vehicle with confidence.
Pushing the boundaries can take you to uncharted waters. Navigate and keep your vessel safe even in harsh polar regions.
Vigilant provides real-time 3D images of the seabed and water column ahead of your vessel. It maintains a history of the entire seabed environment around you. Not only will you know what is ahead of you but Vigilant will also provide automated warnings and cautions to prevent collisions. Hazards are no longer hidden from sight.
Vigilant is our family of long-range, forward looking sonars (FLS). They are compact navigation and obstacle avoidance sonars providing automated alarms warning of objects in the water column out to 1.5 km. They create – with unrivalled resolution and detail – a real-time, easy to interpret 3D terrain map of the seabed and water column ahead, out to 600 m, and down to 100 m water depth.
Fit them to your vessel and you’ll be prepared for anything. Seek out a secluded bay, navigate busy shipping lanes or voyage into the Arctic Circle to watch the Northern Lights with confidence. They are also autonomous vessel ready.
The system consists of a sonar projector and receiver array mounted in the vessel bow, either in the bulb, alongside in a tube or on a retractable deployment pole. In addition, we provide both processing software and hardware and optional bridge display and control hardware.
Vigilant systems are designed for installation in a wide range of vessels, from exploration cruises, private yachts and naval ships to harbour patrol vessels, offshore support vessels and research ships. Engineering support is available from our dedicated team and our experienced travelling engineers can commission and set up the systems onboard as required.
Seaborne collision avoidance is vital for autonomous ships and an ever-increasing number of unmanned surface and underwater vessels in the offshore energy, commercial marine and naval market sectors. Vigilant can be easily integrated into these autonomous platforms. It will provide essential information to autopilots and command and control systems to aid safe navigation and manoeuvres around hazardous obstacles.
Vigilant has two principal operating modes, 3D mode and sonar mode. 3D mode produces stunning 3D bathymetry and colour coded depth imagery using our proprietary altitude confidence filter (ACF), out to 600 m and down to 100 m. Sonar mode processes the intensity of the acoustic data to extract long-range positional data up to 1.5 km and with a 120-degree field of view. In this mode, the sonar returns are used to generate alerts for the operator (or a third-party system) to warn of the presence of a navigationally relevant obstacle.
With its history mapping capability, a comprehensive picture of the underwater environment surrounding the vessel is built up. It provides crews with greater situational awareness for tight manoeuvres or backing out of confined areas.
Combined with our Sentinel Intruder Detection System, naval facilities and assets at anchor or in port can also protect themselves from underwater threats.
The Vigilant FLS family are designed to be retrofitted to existing vessels and new builds. Comprehensive engineering support and advice is available from Wavefront to support installation and commissioning.
- Real-time determination of seabed terrain and under water hazards
- Easy to transport, hardware comes in one box
- Historical image display provides comprehensive situational awareness of the subsea environment
- Easy to configure and operate; no need for sonar background
- Overlay charts provide clear context
- Configurations available for ships, unmanned surface and underwater vehicles, and SDVs
- Field of view 120°
- Range 600 m in 2D/3D depth modes and 1500 m in sonar mode
- Operating frequency 70 kHz
- Operational speed up to 25 knots
- Bottom mapping ratio up to 20 x water depth
- Depth detection up to 100 m
- Receiver size (H x W x L): 110 x 310 x 401 mm
- Projector size (H x W x L): 578 x 118 x 125 mm
- Intuitive user software with touch screen interface
- Seamless switching between Sonar and 2D/3D depth modes, and variable display ranges
- User defined settings for warnings and automated alarm parameters
- Electronic Navigational Chart (ENC) overlay (chart licence and permits not included)
- Full Control and Data interface to enable integration with bridge systems
- What’s in the box: Projector and Receiver sonar arrays, cable assemblies, power and distribution cabinet, rack mounted marine computer, software
- Warranty: 1 year return to Wavefront service centre
- ITAR Controlled: No
- UK Export License: Not required
For further information on Vigilant, see our Frequently Asked Questions.
Request access via the form below to receive the following PDFs:
- Vigilant Ice Keel Detection Capability
- Assessment of Vigilant Environmental Impact
- Vigilant FLS Whale Detection Analysis