The Engineering Project Manager/Product Authority will be part of a small team of engineers reporting to the Head of Engineering in Wavefront Systems and liaising with the Software, Business Development, Operations and other teams across projects.
Location: Yateley, Hampshire
Product Authority Role
The Product Authority will be responsible to the Head of Engineering for the leadership and management of the development, design and improvement of the assigned product family.
The role will require the Engineering Project Manager/Product Authority to be involved in all phases of the product development lifecycle, including requirements definition, design, development and productionisation of innovative solutions within the marine security and defence markets.
Their key areas of accountability will include:
- The product Design Master
- Product Design Certification
- Product improvements and corrections
- Product roadmap
- Manufacturing support
- Configuration management and Change management
- Product variant development
- Product documentation
- Product development testing
- CE Marking
Candidate competencies and experience
The Engineering Project Manager/Product Authority must employ good engineering development practice, and should be proactive in helping improve the company policies and procedures. They will be expected to provide expertise across all projects as necessary. The Engineering Project Manager/Product Authority will have competencies to deliver the following:
- Manage the entire product development process from initial concepts to market release.
- Design and develop new & existing products to internal and external customer driven specifications. Providing mechanical product design expertise.
- Engaging with internal commercial, technical teams and Wavefront’s sister companies in the Covelya’s Group, aligning product development to the business roadmap and customer requirements.
- Create and maintain designs in 3D CAD (Autodesk Inventor & Vault)
- Verify and validate electro-mechanical designs using classical hand calculations, finite element analysis and experimental testing. This may involve assembly of mechanical prototypes, environmental and type approval testing as required on a project basis.
- Work closely with the Quality and Production Planning teams to ensure a smooth and timely deliverable is achieved.
- Work closely with the software development team to ensure that software requirements are prioritised and delivered to meet the needs of the product development.
- Work collaboratively with existing and new suppliers.
- To act as subject matter expert post-product design.
- To maintain product documentation in compliance with ISO9001. Documentation contained within the department includes electronic and paper based records in a number of different systems.
- Provide regular status updates of workload, progress and issues to the Head of Engineering.
- To contribute to the development of new working processes, practices, methods and equipment to improve efficiency levels, reduce costs etc.
Candidate will be educated to degree level in Engineering, with a minimum of five years’ experience in similar roles. We are looking for highly motivated individuals with excellent organisational and product development skills who can work in a team with other high calibre scientists and engineers.
If, due to their background the candidates are able to contribute to the business in a wider role (for example having a knowledge of electronics, sonar, systems, trials etc) then this will be an advantage.
Measures of success will include:
- Development projects delivered to time, quality and cost
- Product manufacturing with minimal defects and/or support
- Product operations with minimal warranty and/or unplanned maintenance issues
Core Company Responsibilities
- To actively contribute to the Company’s continuous improvement process through presentation of corrective actions, suggestions or initiatives focussed on increasing efficiency, productivity, customer satisfaction and employee morale throughout Wavefront Systems.
- To keep up to date with Company organisation and structure, technology products, applications and customers, through attendance on training events, personal liaison with internal commercial, technical and business support staff and awareness of general company internal communications.
- To ensure awareness, understanding and adherence to all Company Policies and Procedures, including Health & Safety, Anti Bribery, ISO-QMS, Financial, Commercial and Operational
- To maintain technical and professional job competencies (qualifications, knowledge and personal skills) through continuous development activities including formal training, self-directed learning. use of professional networks, literature reviews etc.
Why work at Wavefront:
- Competitive salary
- Open and inclusive culture
- Flexible working arrangements
- Discretionary Performance Related Bonus
- 25 days holiday plus bank holidays
- Generous pension
- Life assurance for death in service
- Cycle to work scheme
- Health cash plan
- Electric vehicle scheme
How to apply for this position:
Please send your CV and covering letter via the form above or to email@example.com quoting job reference WFD-1030.